Thursday, November 28, 2013

Re-Thinking Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday!


Each year of our 7 year marriage, my husband and I have hosted Thanksgiving. I love it because it is the start to the holiday season, spending time with family and friends, 4 day weekends (at least for me) and a day dedicated to gratitude expression - sign me up! Though there's one thing that makes this day even more special, yep - THE FOOD! And I LOVE planning out this grand meal, each year trying a new recipe or 2 and improving on my turkey basting skills.

The Thanksgiving Brunch


For the last 2 years our tradition has been a Thanksgiving Day Brunch and even with the excitement of my favorite meal approaching, last year wasn't easy when it came to meal planning. I'd been on my transformation with food for about 2 months, I was still adjusting to eating gluten-free, dairy-free (with the exception to goat cheese) and starting to step in to my healing. At that time, I didn't feel prepared to embark on transforming the entire Thanksgiving meal. So I made food I could enjoy, while making food I thought needed to be on the Thanksgiving table, because it's "always been there". Being the hostess, I thought I was accommodating, though really, I wore myself out trying to plan 2 types of meals, especially half of which I couldn't enjoy.

Re-Thinking Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving I made food that supports my lifestyle. Allowing me to enjoy hostessing with ease, grateful that I am feeding my family well too. Making food that works for me and celebrates the creativity in trying new recipe and I share how I made a delicious and supportive meal.

The Turkey (a.k.a. "Turkey T")


Shepherd Song Farm's Turkey
(mine didn't actually turn out this way,
but it was delicious!)
As I began meal planning, I started with the headliner of Thanksgiving: The Turkey! As I was researching an option for a catered meal at work, I found this company: Shepherd Song Farm.

Our turkey came from a farm in Wisconsin that believes in providing a quality of life for the animals. While they primarily raise goats and sheep, during the holiday season they provide turkey's from Amish farms. I knew it was more expensive, yet I understood how important it was for me.
On the Tuesday before Thanksgiving we received "Turkey T" (as our family lovingly referred to him) on our doorstep, fresh (not frozen) and his organic, free-range, chemical, hormone and additive free lifestyle proved to be a tasty turkey experience. I would do this again!

Ode to Cranberry Jelly


I love Cranberry Jelly. Nostalgia brings forward Thanksgiving where the sweet, jiggly jelly sat on a pretty plate at the table. I've tried a few different recipes for Cranberry Relish, but it wasn't the same and I just prefer the smoothness of the jelly. I wanted it this year, though I chose after reading the ingredients from the store-bought canned version that it didn't align with my food choices. And suddenly I found myself buying fresh cranberries to make my own.

I read up on a few blogs. This one from Pick Your Own walked through all of the steps for making your own jelly (cranberry or otherwise). And while I didn't use the recipe, it helped with key steps.

This one from Food52 inspired the "jelly in a can" idea, though here again I converted the recipe.

Using Trader Joe's Pear Cinnamon Cider, pineapple juice, maple syrup, fresh cranberries and fruit pectin, the flavor of this jelly brought forward a new layer of earthiness and spice that I really enjoyed. I also discovered that making jelly, using my new food mill and giving them as gifts is really fun.

Stuffing Un-Done


When it comes to stuffing, again nostalgia brings forward the recipes that include bread crumbs, butter and giblets. Though since I haven't had bread in over 15 months and the alternative breads still have yeast (which I also avoid) I opted for a tasty Curried Wild Rice Stuffed Squash. These were a hit and no one even asked "where's the stuffing?"

I found this recipe from: Arielle Likes To Cook and here's how I modified it. I used acorn squash, rather than Kabocha Squash. Switched the pomegranate seeds for dried cranberries. And used date paste, rather than chopped dates. I also made my wild rice, boiled in organic vegetable broth the night before to make the process faster on Thanksgiving Day.

Pass the Bacon


Ok, I admit it, every so often I enjoy a crispy slice of bacon! Though I realized last year that my body responds negatively to cured bacon (and other cured meats). The sodium, nitrates and nitrites are just too much for my body, so what's a bacon lover to do? Trader Joe's has a tasty uncured bacon and while it has brown sugar and salt, it's an occasional treat that I feel better about eating.

Now how does one go about making bacon even tastier? On Pinterest I saw a bacon and egg bowl, intrigued I tried it out and the results were amazing.

I lined a cupcake pan with 1 strip of bacon per individual cupcake, cut in half. Baked in a 350 oven for 30 minutes, until crispy.

Egg & Bacon
I beat 3 eggs, some rice milk, sea salt and pepper and poured them into the crispy bacon bowls. In a few of the egg bowls, I added goat cheese for added flavor. Baked for 20 minutes.

Pancake & Bacon
I used a pancake mix that is my second choice for my from scratch pancakes, but I needed something a little quicker, so it worked. Once the mixture was complete, I poured the batter into the crispy bacon bowls. Baked for 20 minutes.


Dessert Please! 


I love all things miniature and when it comes to pies, I'm there too! I've tried a few different make-from-scratch gluten-free pie crusts, though haven't yet found one I love (if you have one, please share below). So in a pinch I tried the Glutino's Pie Crust and it was amazing! Of course, some day I hope to create my own, until then, this is perfect! I wanted treats that were gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar free and corn free. I found it in these little sweet bites.

Pecan Pie
I've always loved pecan pie! The top slightly crispy and when you reach the middle, it's a moist layer of sweetness and then there's the pie crust! One of pecan pie's main ingredients is corn syrup and since I choose other foods, I was in need of another inspired recipe. Right now I honestly can't remember which food blogger I used to help inspire these delicious treats, though I do have the recipe I used and will share soon! I recall boiling the maple syrup to become thicker and using vegan butter.




Pumpkin Pie
This takes second in my idea of great pies, though what is Thanksgiving without it? Here again, I honestly can't remember which food blogger I used to help inspire these treats, though I do have the recipe I used and will share soon!

I could have poured a little more batter in each, as this picture shows it came away from the side, though they were the perfect bite size treats!








I was thankful that I followed my heart, honored my body and enjoyed creating a delicious Thanksgiving Day Brunch for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment