Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pause To Continue

What do you need?

May 6-12: Second week of Inspiring Happiness Project

     As external factors kept my work world moving along, finding time to maintain my grace under pressure offered a few lessons. Supporting two dynamic work events proved to be an opportunity for learning a little lesson.
     Generally there is uncertainty towards any event on "how it will turn out? Will the technology behave? Did I do everything I possibly could to make this a great event?" While I worked through the unease, along with my spring cold provided a few sleepless nights and had me feeling worlds away from my normal "I'm right on top of that Rose" attitude. 
     As the overwhelmed feelings crept in and reached optimum levels on Wednesday morning, I knew I needed to take time. Wild thoughts raced through my mind "there's not enough time" and "just get it done" clashed as I wondered where I could find balance.
Cuddling in my cubicle, I cleared off my schedule, plugged into Jewel and found a spot to accept both.      
    While I was feeling overwhelmed, I cared about what I was doing and wanted to do a good job. I asked myself, "what do you need to know I'll be ok?"  
    And with that my energy was no longer divided; its focus shifted from what I wasn't getting done to I have all the time I need to do what needs to be done.
    Finding the stability and stillness in this simple phrase changed how I felt and how productive I was. Trusting that no matter what happens that I would be ok, well, that was all I needed and was far more important than me approaching every item on my to-do list with frustration. 
    So when we're feeling stressed or overwhelmed and our Outlook seems to be controlled by our schedule, rather than ourselves, ask yourself "what do you need?" The answer may be as simple as "to know I'll be ok."

No comments:

Post a Comment