Sunday, May 12, 2013

No Fire Extinguisher Needed - Pt. 3 - Handwritten Cards


A Mini-Series of Blog Posts

    When I set my intention for April to Create Meaningful Connections, I had an idea of what this would look like. After blogging last week about love and the small portion I only thought I deserved, I found a great sense of healing and as it turns out, the space between blogs, the eagerness and the pausing, has allowed me to appreciate the process of pouring words from my heart to share on my blog.  Not only have I been able to celebrate joys and heal pain, but I've also learned to loved the process.

Part 3: Creating Meaningful Connections

    Maybe I didn't tell anyone about April's inspiration because I didn't want anyone to think they were just a "check mark" on a list of things to do? Or maybe, I doubted that I could actually do bring my intention into action. Chosing to write one handwritten card a day was a commitment and with love, I share what a month of intentionally Creating Meaningful Connections looks like.

Action: Write One Handwritten Card A Day

Here's how I did it and what I loved.
1. Make a plan. I printed off April's calendar and as names of friends and family members came to me, I lovingly wrote them on a day of the calendar. While there were a few dates that were specific to birthdays or anniversaries, I took a holistic approach and felt into which day was the right day to write to that person. The calendar allowed me to place positive intention with each connection. In all honesty, at first, I doubted that I could actually do this or that I would have 30 people to write to. Fortunately, I listened to my heart and found out I could do this.

 2. Create space. Setting up a table in my living room with blank cards, envelopes, stamps, my favorite pens and address book kept my intention insight and allowed me to focus on the connection. This kept things organized and limited the potential excuses I may have tried to come up with, like, "I ran out of cards", or "I can't find any stamps" - no excuses, everything I needed was right there.

3. Let themes happen. As I reflected on the calendar, I came to realize how the people placed on each day of the week represented something special to me in similar, but slightly unique ways. The fundamentals of love, support and friendship abound, but there was something specifically special about who I wrote cards to and on what day.
Meaningful Mondays
Cards celebrating deep connections and great motivators.
Thankful Tuesdays
Cards expressing true thankfulness for the support and love I've felt.
Wellness Wednesdays
Cards of gratitude for healthcare providers who helped me create healing in my life. This includes Dr. Margaret Mitchell, Sara Gillet and Sharon Madison, all listed under my Healing Resources Page
Thoughtful Thursdays
Cards dedicated to honoring the always attentive friends.
Family Fridays
Cards for family - love and support through years of continuing to discover and create myself.
Supporter Saturday
Cards for those who have sent oddles of support my way.
Sunday Seven
Originally Sunday had a different theme all together, however when Sunday April 7th came around I found myself writing to more and more people and wound up writing to 7 people. Sunday Seven has a nice ring to it!
4. Write from love. Each morning I would look at the calendar, hold the person and our relationship in my heart throughout the day and by the time I got home knew what I wanted to write. I'd find the perfect card, grab a pen and before it even touched the paper, I'd bring myself back to my intention.

 What I Discovered

    I joyfully wrote 88 cards. Mailed 55 of them and hand delivered 33. Each word and each card helped to fully live my intention of Creating Meaningful Connections.

    There ended up being 2 days (out of 30) where I didn't write a handwritten card, these two days were filled with so many other meaningful connections and really kept me busy, sometimes this just happens and it's ok.
    I encourage you to share in this expression of connection. Many of you have thanked me for sending cards and while technology allows us to easily and instantly connect, there is something wonderful about something handwritten, just for you. I love that my handwritten card was sent from my home, waited in a postal drop box to be picked up by a mail carrier, then sent to the post office, to later be distributed by a mail carrier to your mailbox and finally to be opened by your hands - Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment